Power of Attorney

Appoint the right people or person to to look after your welfare. Ensure your affairs are taken care of. Draft a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) and safeguard your future.

Benefit from expert advice – get in touch or call 0191 5666 500 for a friendly discussion & find out how we can help.

Lasting Powers of Attorney

Issues about mental incapacity have become more prevalent in recent years.

For a person who has full capacity, a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) can be used to appoint a person, or persons, to look after their property and affairs in the event that they lose this capacity.

LPAs can also be used to allow welfare decisions, such as residence and medical decisions, to be made on their behalf, if they wish.

The LPA can be limited in a number of ways to ensure that the Power of Attorney can only be used if you are unable to make your own decisions.

Our experienced power of attorney solicitors will:

  • Provide you and your attorneys with guidebooks explaining how each type of LPA works and what they may be used for
  • Discuss with you which LPA would be appropriate for your situation
  • Discuss who should be your attorney and what powers or restrictions on their powers may be suitable
  • Arrange for the LPA to be signed and witnessed by all parties
  • Arrange for the necessary certificate confirming capacity, understanding and absence of undue influence to be completed
  • When required, apply to the Office of the Public Guardian to register the LPA so that it becomes effective.

Why choose us?

Our Power of Attorney solicitors have a great deal of experience and expertise in drafting Powers of Attorney.

We are proud members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and Solicitors for the Elderly.

How much will it cost?

For information about or fees and costs please click here.

Court of Protection

Where a person has lost mental capacity without having executed a Power of Attorney, an application may be required to the Court of Protection (COP) to allow someone (usually a family member) to deal with his or her property and affairs (COP does not get involved with welfare decisions ).

The person appointed is called a ‘Deputy’. As this is a formal Court application the procedures are quite detailed.

Generally, a Deputy will not be paid for their duties, other than ‘out of pocket’ expenses.

Our service includes:

  • Complete all of the forms needed to appoint the Deputy
  • Arrange for the certificate, which is necessary in all cases, to be completed by the correct medical practitioner
  • Lodge the application at the court
  • Serve the required notices on family members and any other relevant person
  • Obtain the order with formal copies for you to use.
  • Advise you with regard to any terms in the order.
  • Help complete the annual accounts often required by the OPG
  • Help with applications for a Will or any other special application for the incapable person where appropriate.

Once the Deputy has been appointed the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) oversees their actions.

How much will it cost?

For information about or fees and costs please click here.

Contact us now if you would like to discuss your matter by completing our no obligation online enquiry form. Alternatively you can call us direct on 0191 5666500 or request a call back.

Our History

Our Reputation

Our Fees

Request a call back

To speak to our dedicated team of Solicitors.

Call today to see how we can help 0191 5666 500

Email law@longdens.co.uk

Or fill in the form and we will get back to you shortly.

Request a call back